Quick, Cheap, Easy, Tasty and Healthy? It’s like a health nut’s white whale. This is one of those thought to be unobtainable, but often rumored of healthy treats that taste good, do not cost a fortune, and are easy to make. The Energy Balls.
Did I mention, Gluten Free, Peanut Free, Vegan, Raw, Paleo, etc.
The basic idea is to throw an awesome trail mix into the food processor, blend in a nut butter of choice and coconut oil, form into balls, and snack away. Feel free to play with the ingredients to find a texture and a flavor that fits your budget and tastes.
Originally I made these as a post workout snack for my intensive yoga training weekends while going through my 200 hr teacher training. I needed something full of good fats, easily digestible, and filled with tons of clean energy. They continue to be a post-workout snack as well as the running late in the morning quick breakfast grab-and-go option.
Coconut Date, high energy ball recipe.
- 1 C raw unsalted cashews
- 1/4 C unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 C shelled unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 C unsweetened coconut flakes (I lightly toasted mine in the oven on a sil pat)
- 1 C pitted dates
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbs Nut Butter (I used a walnut almond butter this time, but any will do)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Place seeds and nuts into the food processor and pulse until loosely chopped.
- Add dates and coconut flakes. Process on low until all mixed.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until a nice fine texture is met, OR you loose your patience and a ball can be formed.
- Add more nut butter if the balls are not sticking together.
- Sprinkle the tops with a touch of high quality salt for that extra flavor.
Makes about 24 balls!! Store on a parchment paper, in tupperware. I left mine on the counter and they lasted about a week. Only because we ate them all so fast, lol. If you are worried about staying power, they work well refrigerated. Message me if you freeze them, I wanna know how it works out for you!!
Post in the comments! I wanna know what ingredients you are swapping in and out! I will also share more flavor combos.